Language sciences have achieved great successes in both theoretical and applied spheres. They have merged with the human, natural, medical, and technical sciences to create new linguistic and literary disciplines. Arising from this, the Department of Arabic Language has chosen to organize an international conference entitled “Arabic Language and Literature: A Contemporary Vision” to examine this contemporary vision of the sciences of Arabic language and literature and how the Arabic language has benefited from it.
The Department of Arabic Language hopes that this conference will successfully highlight the contemporary vision of Arabic language sciences outlined by Arab scholars through their contemporary perusal of Arabic sciences in the fields of linguistics, literature and criticism.
The Organizing Committee seeks, in this conference, to achieve its goals by presenting serious studies in which classical and contemporary views of Arabic language sciences intertwine. It also aims at making use of the new approaches in linguistics and literary and critical studies.
In compliance with the university’s demand to improve the research skills of SQU faculty, the conference aims at:
1. giving the opportunity to specialists in the language sciences to meet and share experiences and expertise in order serve their research in various fields.
2. re-reading the works of early Arabic language scholars using modern approaches to allow contemporary researchers to profit from the salient aspects of those works.
3. addressing disciplinary features of early works, in an attempt to highlight the features that can be utilized to formulate disciplinary Arabic language concept, merging early efforts with modern research methods.
a. Language Themes
i. Arabic scholars contribution to phonetics: a contemporary vision
ii. Syntactic and morphological notions in the eyes of contemporary scholars
iii. Issues of semantics with early Arabic scholars in the light of modern linguistics
iv. Modern Arabic dictionaries: criticism and evaluation
b. Critical Themes
i. Readings in Arabic rhetoric and critical heritage: a contemporary vision
ii. Modern critical approaches: a critical view
iii. Towards a contemporary Arabic critique approach: theoretical background and applied efficiency
Conditions of Participation
1. The content of the paper must be within one of the themes.
2. A one-page CV of the researcher must be provided.
3. A one-page Arabic abstract, with English translation, must be provided. The abstract must illustrate the objectives of the study, its methodology and salient findings.
4. The abstracts and papers will be reviewed by two reviewers, who will inform the candidate if their paper is acceptable once approved by the specialized committee.
5. The paper must not have been published or presented in any former conferences or events.
6. The paper must be no more than 30 A4 pages long, including all endnotes, references and appendices.
7. The paper must be types using the standard Arabic font in MS Word and must be font size 14 for the text and 12 for the footnotes.
8. The paper must be sent via e-mail as an attachment or saved on a CD and mailed to the organizing committee’s address provided.
1. Deadline for proposals 28 April 2012
2. Deadline for full papers 29 August 2012
3. Conference dates 2-3 December 2012
Proposals must be addressed to:
Department of Arabic Language, College of Arts and Social Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
P.O. Box: 42, Postal Code: 123
Fax: (+968) 24141851
• Dr. Zahir Al Dawoodi (+968) 99229571
• Mr. Zahir Al Guseini (+968) 92244333
Fax: (+968) 24141851