· To serve as the Sultan Qaboos University focal point for marine biotechnology.
· To seek and administer internal and external research funding for multi-disciplinary marine biotechnology research programs.
· To support post graduate training and education.
· To support visiting research scientists and facilitate their research in marine biotechnology in Oman.
· To facilitate interactions between Sultan Qaboos University and government ministries, international organizations and the commercial sector for conducting research and development in the field of marine biotechnology.
· To create awareness of the potential developments and commercial opportunities for marine biotechnology through the use of scientific and popular media and by the organization of local, regional and international meetings.