· Create a strong infrastructure and develop an integrated research program in marine biotechnology.
· Facilitate interdisciplinary and multi-institutional efforts to bridge gaps in research and encourage partnerships between academia, government and industry to commercialize scientific findings.
· Apply advanced molecular biology techniques and information technology to a carefully selected suite of marine habitats and organisms.
· Discover genes and processes that can be used to develop innovative products and approaches to benefit biomedicine and industry.
· Use and management of marine resources in a sustainable manner.