The College of Engineering at Sultan Qaboos University through active participation of all employees, students, visitors, and contractors will strive to manage Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) risks with the goal of preventing accidents, injuries and occupational illnesses, progressively minimizing environmental impact by reducing discharges and using energy efficiently. The College of Engineering believes that HSE is one of the primary business elements. The College believes that good HSE practice is an integral part of the education process and will contribute to the professional standing of the College.
To ensure achieve the highest level of HSE the College of Engineering will:
- Comply with SQU HSE policy
- SQU - HSE Code of Practice.
- Develop and implement HSE measures to ensure an incident and accident free environment
- Require the college administration and heads of departments to uphold strict HSE standards in the workplace
- Develop a high degree of safety consciousness by ensuring continuous HSE education and training for staff and students
- Maintain regular contact with other HSE organizations to ensure experience sharing and adoption of industry best practice
- Authorize personnel to stop unsafe acts and conditions
- Report and record all incidents, accidents and near misses for subsequent analysis and action
- Ensure that regular audit, monitoring, and maintenance of equipment and facilities meet HSE standards
- Ensure strict control of hazardous substances by setting storage, handling, and usage rules to recognized local and international standards
- Provide adequate resources to maintain and monitor HSE measures
- Develop a forum for staff and student feedback in terms of HSE
- Develop a meaningful incentive for staff, students, and contractors to enhance HSE measures.
The College will implement this policy through a document describing the Health, Safety and EnvironmentalManagement System. All contractors and visitors are required to be committed to and perform their duties according to this policy.