| Dr. Muhammad Masum Billah
Tell: 2414 5349
- Doctor of Laws (LL.D) (2009), University of Ottawa, Thesis topic: “Effects of Insurance’s Absence or Presence on Maritime Liability Law with Special Reference to Cargo Liability and Oil Pollution Liability Regimes: An Economic Analysis.”
- Master of Laws (LL.M) (2003), University of Alberta, Thesis topic: “An Appraisal of International Oil Pollution Liability Regime.”
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (2001), International Islamic University Malaysia,
| Research Interest
- Maritime Law,
- Insurance Law,
- Economic Analysis of Law,
- Islamic Banking and Finance,
- Intellectual Property Law, and
- Muslim Minority Affairs.
| Related Experiences
- January 2011 to date Assistant
, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
- March 2010 – January 2011 Full-time Lecturer Keimyung University, South Korea
- Research Assistant (Feb. to April, 2004, May to December, 2006, August 2008)) for Professor André Braën, Faculty of Law, University of Ottawa.
- Research Assistant (Jan.2006-April.2006) for Prof. Natasha Bakht, Faculty of Law, University of Ottawa.
- Research Assistant (2001-2003) for Professor David Percy, Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Alberta.
- Summer Research Assistant (2002) for Professor Elaine Hughes, Faculty of Law, University of Alberta.
- Teaching Assistant (Jan. to Apr. 2009), Occupational Health & Safety, Telfer School of Management, University of Ottawa
- Teaching Assistant (Sept. to Dec. 2008), Business Law, Telfer School of Management, University of Ottawa
Other Work Experience
| Professional membership
- Chair: Quality Assurance
Committee, College of Law (Jan. 2013 – Feb. 2014)
- Faculty Fellow, Center for
Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL), Sultan Qaboos University (March
2015 to date)
- Member: Quality Assurance
Committee, College of Law (Feb. 2014 to 2016)
- Member: Risk Management
Committee, College of Law (January 2016 to date)
- Member: Textbook Committee,
Private Law Dept., College of Law (2011 to date).
- Member: Grade Revision
Committee, Private Law Dept., College of Law (Sept. 2015 to date).
- Member, Self-Study Group,
Quality Assurance Committee, September 2015 to 2016.
- Consultant (part time):
Legal Affairs Department, Sultan Qaboos University (December 2013 – September
- Representing Malaysia in the 12th Commonwealth Law Moot competition in 1999 both at regional and international levels, held in Malaysia.
- Volunteer in the International Student Centre, University of Alberta, 2002.
- Director of cultural night in a motivational program for Malaysian aboriginal people (known as ‘Orang Asli’) in 1997.
- Moderator of weekly student discussion group (1998-2001), International Islamic University, Malaysia.
- Assistant general secretary and sports secretary, Students Representative Council of the college (1993-1995).
- Class Representative in almost all the grades of high school.
| Principle Publication
- Muhammad Masum Billah, Effects of Insurance on Maritime Liability Law: A Legal and Economic Analysis, (Springer International Publishing, Switzerland: 2014) (210 pages): ISBN 978-3-319-03487-4; ISBN 978-3-319-03488-1 (eBook).
- Journal Articles
- Muhammad Masum Billah, “Agency Contract under Conventional Law and Islamic Law as Manifested in the Civil Code of Oman: A Comparative Analysis,” (2016) 4 Electronic Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law 109-126. (University of Zurich, Switzerland; indexed in DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals)).
- Muhammad Masum Billah, “Creating a Rebuttable Presumption of Profiling in Cases of Alleged Profiling of Muslims and Other Minorities in Canada,” (2016) 36.3 Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs 334-349. (Web of Science/Scopus indexed).
- Muhammad Masum Billah, “Admiralty Jurisdiction of Canadian Federal Courts: A Circuitous Approach,” (2016) 47.2 Journal of Maritime Law & Commerce 249-274. (Web of Science/Scopus indexed).
- Muhammad Masum Billah, “Extensive Use of Ḥilah in Islamic Banking and Finance,” (2015) 59.1 Islamic Quarterly 65-88. (Scopus indexed).
- Muhammad Masum Billah, “The Prohibition of Riba and the Use of Ḥiyal by Islamic Banks to Overcome the Prohibition,” (2014) 29.4 Arab Law Quarterly 398-408. (Scopus indexed)
- Muhammad Masum Billah, “The Role of Insurance in Providing Adequate Compensation and in Reducing Pollution Incidents: the Case of the International Oil Pollution Liability Regime”, (2011) 29 Pace Environmental Law Review 42-78.
- Muhammad Masum Billah, “Incentive Effect of Liability Rules in the Presence of Liability Insurance in the Maritime Law Context: An Economic Analysis”, (2008) 31 Dalhousie Law Journal 427-461.
- Muhammad Masum Billah, “Economic Analysis of Limitation of Shipowners’ Liability”, (2007) 19 University of San Francisco Maritime Law Journal, 297-319.
- Conference & Invited Talks
- “Agency under Civil Code of Oman and Islamic Law: A Comparative Study,” presented in 3rd Annual Conference of College of Law, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman, under the theme of ‘Civil Code of Oman: the Reality and Expectation’ on April 11-12, 2016.
- “Islamic Banking and Finance” presented at Waljat College of Applied Sciences, Muscat, Oman, on March 28, 2016 (invited talk).
- “Cybercrimes and the law to suppress such crimes in Oman: Success and Challenges,” presented in Telecom Laws & Regulations Forum organized by Telecommunication Regulatory Authority, Oman, in Muscat, Oman, February 9 – 11, 2016.
- “Sukuk versus Conventional Bonds: Are They Two Sides of the Same Coin?” presented in the 12th ASLI (Asian Law Institutes) Annual Conference in National Taiwan University, Taiwan, May 21-22, 2015.
- “Use of Ḥiyal (legal stratagem) by Islamic Banks to Overcome the Prohibition of Riba,” presented in 11th ASLI (Asian Law Institutes) Conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, May 29-30, 2014.
- “Incentive Effect of Liability Rules in the Presence of Liability Insurance in Maritime Law Context: An Economic Analysis,” presented in the annual conference of The Toronto Group for the Study of International, Transnational, and Comparative Law, at the University of Toronto, Canada, on January 11-13, 2008.
- “Maritime Cargo Liability Regimes in the Light of Insurance Realities: An Economic Analysis,” presented at McGill Graduate Legal Studies Conference, March 6-8, 2008.
- “Success of Oil Pollution Liability Regime and the Role of Insurance” presented at the 13th Annual UBC Interdisciplinary Law Students Conference, “Law without Borders,” May 1-2, 2008.
- “Economic Analysis of Limitation of Shipowners’ of Liability,” presented at Osgoode GLSA Annual Conference, “QUO VADIS Constitution? The Boundaries of Modern Law,” May 9-10, 2008.
- WIPO National Seminar on the Effective Use of the Patent System for the Promotion of Innovation, organized by WIPO in cooperation with Ministry of Commerce and Industry of Oman, Muscat, June 24 and 25, 2012.
- WIPO National Seminar on the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT), organized jointly by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Oman, held in Oman, May 23-24, 2011.
- Workshop on Graduate Student Supervision, organized by the Faculty of Post-graduate Studies and Research, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman, March 17-18, 2011.
| Honors and Awards
- Alberta Law Foundation Scholarship, University of Alberta
- Faculty of Law Graduate Scholarship, University of Alberta
- Travel-grant awards from University of Ottawa to present papers at graduate law student conferences at University of Toronto and University of British Columbia in 2008.
- Full funding from Int. Islamic University Malaysia to complete LL.B program.
- Recipient of Bangladesh Prime Minister’s Merit List Award in 1995 and 1997.
- Best Speaker in Tan Sri Prof. Syed Agil Barakbah Internal Moots Competition in 1998, International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM).
- 5th Best Speaker in the IIUM's internal Ice Breaking Debate Competition.
- 1st prize in an essay competition organized by Sadi Foundation, Bangladesh, in 1993.
- 3rd prize in an Essay Competition organized by Bangladesh Tourism Corporation in 1993.
| Current Courses
- Banking and Financial
- Business Law
- Capital Market Law
- Commercial Papers
- E-commerce Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Maritime Law
| Other Community Services