The senior rotation period is a consolidation phase for the clinical skills learned earlier and a refinement of clinical acumen.
The students should be able to achieve the following:
1. TAKE a detailed history, perform a thorough physical examination, make a
provisional diagnosis, and initiate relevant investigations.
2. MAKE a reasonable interpretation of the relevant investigations.
3. INITIATE first line management.
4. ASSESS the need for referral of patients to the appropriate consultant.
5. APPRECIATE the priorities in the clinical needs of a patient.
6. PERFORM with competence routine practical procedures under supervision.
7. BE FAMILIAR with the common drugs, their indications, dosages and side effects.
8. BE CONVERSANT with the management of acute medical emergencies such as myocardial infarction, gastro-intestinal bleeding, diabetic comas, etc.
9.TAKE an ECG, USE a peak flow meter and PERFORM a simple spirometry, venepuncture and USE an inhaler.
10.BE FAMILIAR with other practical procedures as outlined in this log book.