3rd SQU/JCCP Joint Symposium on
Environmental Challenges & Mitigation Approaches
for Sustainable Development in the Oil & Gas Industry
19-21 December 2010
Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
For the past 18 years, Japan Cooperation Center, Petroleum (JCCP), (1992-2001 as PEC) has been organizing annual symposia related to the environment in Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries. These symposia have been held in Japan, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kingdom of Bahrain, Qatar, State of Kuwait, Sultanate of Oman, and the United Arab Emirates, and have attracted considerable interest from scientists and professionals in the GCC as well as in Japan. In view of the success of the previous symposia held in 2000 and 2005 at Sultan Qaboos University (SQU), JCCP and SQU have decided to organize this 3rd SQU/JCCP Joint Symposium on “Environmental Challenges & Mitigation Approaches for Sustainable Development in the Oil and Gas Industry.” (The 1st SQU/JCCP Joint Symposium was held in February of 2000, titled Water Resources and Greening the Desert. The 2nd SQU/JCCP Joint Symposium was held in February of 2005 titled Preservation of Environmental Resources amid Economic Development.
The 3rd SQU/JCCP Joint Symposium was organized by the Oil & Gas Research Center and Center for Environmental Studies and Research of Sultan Qaboos University, and the JCCP Technical Cooperation Department from 19-21 December 2010 at SQU. The aim of this Symposium was to present results of research and innovative technologies related to environmental problems in the oil and gas industry. The participants were from GCC countries as well as from Japan. The symposia was also to provide forums for exchanging views and information on multitudes of issues ranging from water treatment, usage and management, to improvement of the desert environment.
· Program (JCCP_SQU)
Based on the deliberations that took place during the technical sessions, the following recommendations have been made. The recommendations are addressed to the concerned government agencies and other stakeholders in the region.
· Encourage and invest in research, innovations, and technology development, which are critical to successfully address environmental management challenges posed by the oil and gas industry
· Develop improved technologies and strategies addressing best management practices, Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) and options to minimize the potential environmental damages caused by the oil and gas industry
· Invest resources in filling data and knowledge gaps and in research and development to develop sustainable technologies, tools to cope with environmental problems arising out of operations in oil and gas industry
· Strengthen local information base and train national manpower by providing them with the necessary technical skills to tackle environmental impacts while exploiting oil and gas resources
· Create awareness and involve youth and concerned citizens in project management, communication and leadership in addressing environmental management challenges in the industry
· Develop improved and revised systems/strategies to predict and cope with management of environmental problems towards greener and cleaner path towards sustainable development in the oil and gas industry.
· Develop country and regional level environmental database with critical assessment of trends and changes in the oil and gas industry
· Conduct vulnerability assessment of key issues and systems to manage natural resources in the face of new realities of the industry to environmental sustainability
· Establish improved systems and sharing information and practices to better address environmental issues arising out of oil and gas industry operations
· Create regional network for efficient exchange of data and information and link it up with other international networks
· JCCP should continue to hold such symposia in the region in the coming years on a regular basis
· Initiate long-term research in integrated environmental management
· Conduct in-depth studies on process technology and wastewater including oil production water management
· Develop efficient technologies for application of renewable energy in the sector
· Develop strategies and tools for efficient management of natural resources in and around the industrial operations
· Continue with efforts to reduce greenhouse gases (GHG) emission