Tips for recognizing student who needs help
A. Marked changes in academic performance or behavior
1. Excessive absences or tardiness
2. Dramatic weight loss or gain
3. Asking instructor for help with personal problem
4. Fatigue and sleeping in class
5. Diminished self-care including poor hygiene
6. Missed deadlines or incomplete work
7. Altered mood states, sadness, anxiety, irritability, lethargy
8. Decrease in achievement
9. Diminished motivation
10. Difficulties with concentration
11. Marked changes in interaction patterns with instructor and peers, e.g., avoidance, dependency &aggression )
12. Anxiety attacks when making an oral presentations (shaking, panicking, forgetfulness, racing heart beat, sweating, dry mouth, etc.)
13. Aggressive communication with faculty and colleagues.
14. Make repeated requests for special consideration or adjustment to academic requirements
15. May behave in ways that are disruptive to the classroom culture, e.g., angry outbursts, walking out, failing to collaborate, unusual problems with roommate or family
16. Isolation from friends or family
17. Attacking the opinions of others
18. Tearfulness & sadness
19. Irritability or angry outbursts
20. Intense emotion or inappropriate responses
21. Disjointed thoughts
22. References to harm self and others using verbal and written messages.
23. Express thoughts of helplessness or hopelessness
How can you intervene?
A. Support and communicate
1. Talk to the student in private.
2. State your reasons for concern specifically.
3. Listen carefully.
4. Avoid criticism.
5. Avoid judgmental expressions verbal or non-verbal.
1. Explore different options with the student, including visiting the Student Counseling Center (SCC).
2. Highlight the quality of the SCC services:
3. Confidential counseling.
4. Privacy to information.
5. Qualified counselors offering professional counseling.
C. Contact us :
1. Offer to accompany the student to the Student Counseling Center or offer to assist them in setting up an appointment at the following numbers: 2414 1826 / 2414 3106.