Maternal and Child Health Department
The Department of Maternal and Child Health (MCH) aims to maintain excellence in the fields of nursing education and research contributing to comprehensive care of women and children. The department provides courses related to Maternal and Child Health nursing within the framework of the curriculum plan of College of Nursing (CON). Further it aims to expand academic excellence through collaborative research and establishment of transdisciplinary viable networks with local, national and international agencies.
The vision of MCH department is to strive for excellence in education, practice and research related to Maternal and Child Health Nursing.
The mission of the MCH department is to provide quality nursing education to prepare professionals towards optimizing health of women and children in an ever changing health care environment. The faculty is also committed to nursing science through research activities that enhance quality of services and the overall development of students in par with national and international standards.
The Philosophy of thefaculty ofdepartment of MCH reflects values and beliefs of the CON regarding human being, health, society, nursing, nursing education, learner, and curriculum with in the framework of MCH nursing care.
The faculty believes that MCH is family and community centred and view the woman and child as a holistic individual requiring safe and competent care within the context of culture, religion, and acceptable social norms and practices.
The faculty recognises that the critical thinking, effective communication, and application of evidence based nursing interventions are vital for planning, implementation and evaluation of integrated care for women and children.
The faculty believes in preparing professional nurses to advocate professional practice adhering to establish framework of ethical principles and legal standards of practice protecting the rights of all family members including the foetus.
The faculty believes in preparing nursing professionals in promoting health, preventing illness, limiting disability and achieving high level wellness across mother-hood and child-hood throughout maturational phases of life span.
The faculty perceives learning to be a life long process, education is a partnership between learner and teacher, and curriculum blends core components of maternal and child health nursing in structuring conceptual learning.
The faculty realises their commitment to prepare nurses to assume challenging role in providing participatory maternal and child health care incorporating the emerging health care needs across health care settings.
The objectives of the MCH department are to:
- Prepare graduates to provide family centered comprehensive care to women and children.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate courses related to the department.
- Ensure excellent academic performance and overall development of students in both clinical and theory courses towards caring mother and children.
- Procure and monitor utilization of resources, for effective functioning of the department.
- Participate actively towards promotion of independent and collaborative research.
- Extend professional services to community through effective coordination and collaboration with professional agency and Ministry of Health (MoH).
- Facilitate professional growth of faculty.
- Monitor continuous quality improvement of all functional areas of the department.