Tourism is a global industry and a national strategic priority for most countries. Tourism is becoming an increasingly important industry sector for the Sultanate of Oman. Oman is a beautiful country, rich in history, and has real potential for a significant growth in earnings from tourism. Oman has a substantial amount of natural, cultural and heritage assets. The aggregation and concentration of these assets makes Oman unique in the region.
According to the United Nation World Tourism Organization (UN-WTO), recent trends show that tourism continues to be one of the most dynamic economic sectors in the Middle East. The tourism sector can provide employment to many in Oman. As forecasted by the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), nearly 114,823 jobs—11.8 per cent of total employment—will be generated by 2014. Oman is expected to achieve a real annualized growth rate of 5.5 per cent over the next 10 years to reach R.O. 2.4 billion ($6.2 billion) in the year 2014.
Sultan Qaboos University, the leading higher education institution in the Sultanate of Oman, has a major role to undertake a direct and effective role in the social and economic development plans for Omani society by contributing to the development of its productive capabilities and the best use of its resources. The university has contributed to the development of tourism in Oman through the establishment of a department of tourism at the college of Arts and Social Sciences. Such a program aimed to produce qualified personnel to work in the various fields of tourism; it was intended also to be a nucleus for academic and professional training in the Sultanate. This B.A program in Tourism was commenced on the fall semester of 2001.
WHO ARE OUR EXTERNAL STAKEHOLDERS?
- Hospitality & Tourism Industry in Oman and GCC Region.
- Omani Government/Legislators.
- SQU Department of Tourism Alumni.
WHO ARE OUR INTERNAL STAKEHOLDERS?
- SQU Department of Tourism Students.
- SQU Department of Tourism Faculty and Staff.
- SQU College of Arts & Social Sciences Faculty, Administration, and Support Services
- Sultan Qaboos University Faculty, Administration, and Support Services.
WHO WE ARE? WHAT BUSINESS ARE WE IN?
We are Hospitality & Tourism Professionals and Educators.
WHAT IS OUR PURPOSE & ROLE?
Provide the highest quality education possible.
Conduct scholarly activities to enhance existing base of knowledge in hospitality & tourism field.
3. SERVICE OUTREACH:
Provide services to community at large and industry.
WHAT ARE THE BASIC SOCIAL, POLITICAL, CULTURAL, & ECONOMICAL NEEDS WE EXIST TO FILL?
- Great future for tourism in the Sultanate of Oman.
- Developing Omani manpower for Tourism & Hospitality industry.
- Priority of higher education value to society and legislators.
- Great potential for career opportunities available for Omani youth.
- Tourism & Hospitality Education Issues.
- Image of Tourism & Hospitality industry.
WHAT DO WE WANT TO DO TO RECOGNIZE OR ANTICIPATE AND RESPOND TO THESE NEEDS OR PROBLEMS?
- Increase value/benefits to our external and internal stakeholders.
- Improve quality of education (knowledge, skills, & Attitude through work experience, internships, and mentorship by faculty).
- Improve quality of facilities/technology.
- Increase awareness of quality of careers in hospitality & tourism industry.
- Develop better relationships with industry/government/legislators/alumni.
- Enhance image of hospitality & tourism department.
WHAT MAKES US DISTINCT OR UNIQUE?
- Being part of Sultan Qaboos University team.
- "Hospitality & Tourism Laboratory and Live Case Study in Oman"
- The first 4-year University in OMAN to offer B.A. in Tourism.
- Our faculty are young/energetic/not entrenched, recent industry experience, willingness for industry involvement.
WHAT ARE OUR CORE VALUES?
- Quality of instruction.
- Professional image.
- Participative management.
- Desire for continuous professional development.
WHAT IS OUR MISSION STATEMENT?
“Provide undergraduate students in hospitality and tourism management with a foundation of knowledge and skills to be prepared for [SUCCESSFUL] management careers in hospitality and tourism organizations.”
WE STRIVE TO CREATE THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS FOR SUCCESS
- Shared Vision
- Understanding the Organization
- Cultural Alignment
- Experienced Help (Where Necessary)
- Strong Leadership
- Stakeholders Buy-In