Job Vacancies in Political Science at the College of Economics and Political Science
For the academic year 2013-2014
At the Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor levels
College of Economics and Political Science at Sultan Qaboos University, a growing and progressive university in the education system of the Sultanate of Oman, invites applications in the political science discipline effective Fall 2013. Sultan Qaboos University provides, through its nine colleges and other units, a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs, research and outreach services. The University is located in the metropolitan capital of Muscat, close to excellent international schools and unique natural recreational areas. Apart from an attractive competitive tax-free salary, SQU offers free housing with basic furniture, free medical care through public and university hospitals, and a family clinic on campus, excellent recreational facilities on campus, end of service gratuity, subsidized schooling for up to two children (conditions apply), 60 days annual leave with return tickets, up to 28 days research leave (conditions apply) and initial two-year contract renewable by three-year contracts.
Applications received before 30 March 2013 will receive priority consideration. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment in any particular case. Interested candidates should complete the online application.
The available positions in political science at the college are in the following areas :
1. Comparative politics with expertise in Middle Eastern politics and governments.
2. International relations. This person should have the ability to teach International Relations of the Middle East but may have subject matter expertise in a number of areas – political economy, international security, etc.
3. Comparative Politics or International Relations but with an ability to teach Scope and Methods of Political Science and Political Behavior. This position is more likely to be filled by someone in comparative politics.
Minimum qualifications for these positions include:
- A doctoral degree (Ph.D.) from an internationally recognized university.
- College/university teaching experience.
- Candidate for the Assistant Professor level should demonstrate potential for excellence in both research and teaching.
- Candidate for Associate and Full professor level appointments should have an excellent publication record and a board teaching base at the post graduate and undergraduate levels.
The individual hired will be required to maintain an active research agenda, teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses, and contribute to department and university growth through appropriate services and community activities.
The application should include an up-to-date CV which includes list of publications, names and contact information of three referees, and copies of all degrees