His Excellency, Dr. Ali Bin Saud Al-Bimani, the present Vice Chancellor and fifth Vice Chancellor of Sultan Qaboos University, was born on August 6, 1951. He got his elementary education up to grade five in Zanzibar and continued his secondary education up to the third secondary grade in The United Arab Emirates.
In 1980, he obtained his BSc degree in Petroleum Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin in the USA and then in 1988 he got his Masters degree from The University of Southern California where he earned his PhD. degree in 1992. His Excellency, Dr. Bimani has risen in the job scale from a petroleum engineer in the Petroleum Development of Oman (PDO) to a dynamic and creative expert in production technology, which he was always keenly and fully committed to. In 1992, he started his academic career at Sultan Qaboos University as a faculty member in the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering/ College of Engineering , then as an Assistant Dean for Academic/Student Affairs, and then as an Assistant Vice President for Postgraduate Studies and Research. Soon, he became Deputy Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Community Service, and finally he rose to the position of the University VC, in accordance with the Royal Decree 14/2008 issued on February 12, 2008.
Despite his great responsibilities and duties as VC, Dr. Bimani has continued to be in close contact with university teaching and scientific research as he has greatly contributed to the educational process, both at the graduate and undergraduate levels in “reservoir engineering” and “Stratigraphy and its evaluation”. In research, he has participated actively in research teams and joint research in the areas of “enhanced methods of oil recovery” as well as in the areas of “studies of the damages to the strata/beds” and “systems of reducing the water flow.” Furthermore, he has an extensive record of research of more than 70 scientific papers published in scientific journals and international scientific conferences and seminars.
Dr. Bimani is dynamic, enthusiastic and eager for innovation, creativity and continuous development while maintaining the highest quality standards and the eminent status of the university. This has not been possible without the never-ending and continuous support of all university and hospital personnel at all levels. Certainly, this has helped in the realization of the university’s great achievements that we are all proud of and the completion of many vital and strategic projects, which would not be possible to achieve without the strong determination and the full dedication and devotion of all University personnel.
The following is only a partial list of these achievements:
H.E. Dr. Ali Al-Bemani
- The inauguration of the College of Nursing, following the separation of the nursing program from the College of Medicine and Health Sciences.
- The graduation of the first PhD cohort.
- The approval and adoption of the short-term strategic plan of 2009-2013
- The approval and initiation of many PhD programs in the colleges of Engineering, Medicine and Health Sciences,
- Agriculture and Marine Sciences, Science, and Arts and Social Sciences.
- The division of the Deanship of Scientific Research and Postgraduate Studies into two independent Deanships: Deanship of Scientific Research and Deanship of Postgraduate Studies.
- The approval of building housing complexes for students for future investment.
- The academic accreditation from the International Accreditation Organization (ABET) for The College of Engineering.
- The establishment of the Department of Investment and Income/Revenue.
- The activation of the Quality Control Unit by appointing an academician for its administration
- The initiation of the operation of the university Cultural Center
- The acquisition of the Micro-technology Chair from the Scientific Research Council.
- The acquisition of research grants and funds from the Scientific Research Council and from the British Prime Minister’s initiation program.
- The participation of SQU students in international and regional forums, competitions and gatherings where they won advanced ranks
- The documentation of the record of scientific research performed in the university from 1986-2009.
- The documentation of the scientific and research relations and partnerships with other international universities, institutions and renowned research centers
- The development of health services offered by the SQU hospital, by adding new departments and specializations and by acquiring state-of-the-art medical equipment.