Research Interests :
I am a marine biotechnologist and I have been working with marine biofouling more than 25 years. I have been lucky to work with polar, temporal and tropical fouling species. In particular, I am interested in biofouling and interactions between microbes and invertebrates larvae. My projects include:
- Bioactive compounds from marine organisms
- Novel non-toxic antifouling defense
- Microbial biofilms on artificial substrata and antifouling paints
- Quorum sensing and anti-quorum sensing compounds
- Symbiotic microbes associated with marine organisms
- Bioremediation of oil spills
Current funded research project:
- Biofouling in Oman waters and prevention of microbial and algal fouling using novel nanorod photocatalytic coating. Sponsor: The Research Council, grant ORG/EBR/15/003, Sultanate of Oman, PI
- Antimicrobial and antifouling nanocoatings. Sponsor: SQU, internal grant, IG/AGR/FISH/15/02, Sultanate of Oman, PI
- Larval culture of the tropical spiny lobster, Panulirus homarus; a new candidate species for aquaculture in Oman, TRC ORG/EBR/13/003, Sultanate of Oman, member
Past funded research projects:
- Identification, comparative analysis and presentation of English, German and Arabic terminology on marine tourism, SQU internal grant, IG-HURC-14-01, Sultanate of Oman, member
- The population dynamics, pathology and treatment of parasites on commercially important demersal fishes in Oman, SQU internal grant, IG/AGR/FISH/13/02, Sultanate of Oman, member
- Bioactive compounds from Oman marine organisms, SQU internal grant, IG/AGR/FISH/12/01, Sultanate of Oman, PI.
- Science without frontiers CNPq (collaborative research with Brazil), Quorum sensing inhibitors from marine organisms, Brazil, PI
- Economical, social and environmental impacts of marine biofouling in the Sultanate of Oman. His Majesty Fund for Strategic Research SR/AGR/FISH/10/01, Sultanate of Oman, PI.
- Bio remediation of oil-polluted ecosystems in the Sultanate of Oman, TRC grant RC/SCI/BIOL/11/01, Sultanate of Oman, member.