Faculty POSITION (Asst./Asociate Professor) in soil AND WATEr MANGAEMENT / Water Technology SPECIALIZATION
The College of Agricultural and Marine Sciences at SQU, the national University of the Sultanate of Oman, provides a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate programs, research and extension activities. All instruction is in English and an earned PhD is a minimum requirement for academic appointments. The University is located near the capital area and close to excellent international schools and unique natural recreational areas. Apart from an attractive tax-free base salary, SQU offers free furnished accommodation, university sponsored medical care, including a hospital and family clinic on campus, excellent recreational facilities on campus, end of service gratuity, subsidized schooling for up to two children, 60 days annual leave with return air tickets and rolling two/ three-year contracts. General information about the University and the College is available on the university’s Homepage http://www.squ.edu.om, http://www.squ.edu.om/agr/Home. The College has vacancies for academic staff in the following department effective from Fall semester in 2018.
The Department of Soils, Water and Agricultural Engineering is seeking candidates to undertake undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and research in the broad area of Soil and Water management, Water Technology specialization. The expertise of the candidates should be primarily in Soil and Water Management. Experience is essential in Agricultural Water Management, Hydrology, Irrigation Design, and Integrated Water Resources Management. Candidates are expected to have a strong research background in order to augment a fast growing postgraduate program and develop cooperative research programs with faculty in the department, related departments of the College and SQU, local and international universities and various government and private entities in Oman including the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, and Ministry of Regional Municipalities and Water Resources.
Qualifications and Skill Base
The candidate must have an earned Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Soil and Water Management, Civil Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Water Resources or similar disciplines from a reputed University and following are additional post-qualifying requirements.
· The candidate should have a strong commitment for teaching excellence and student advising both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
· Ability to teach:
- Irrigation Principles and Design
- Introduction to Soil and Water
- Hydrology (Undergraduate and Postgraduate level)
- Soil and Water Conservation
- Integrated Water Resources Management
- and other courses in the undergraduate and postgraduate programs of the Department, as well as College service courses.
· The candidate should demonstrate excellent research capabilities that will enable him to develop successful research program with the state of the art methods and instrumentation in Soil and Water management areas including model application and development.
· The candidate must have a documented research record (Web of Science, SCOPUS, Google Scholar, ResearchGate) through publications in reputed refereed journals.
· The candidate should have track record of developing, securing and managing funded projects.
Interpersonal and Communication Skills
· The candidate should have excellent interpersonal and communication skills with team work spirits. Teaching experience based on e-learning platforms will be considered as an added qualification.
· The candidate should be flexible to work in a multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary team environment.
Contact: Enquiries can be addressed to the coordinator of the department, Mrs. Asila Al-Rashdi (at firstname.lastname@example.org).
Positions will remain open till filled. Hiring will be done at the level of Assistant or Associate Professor. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment in any particular case. Interested candidates are requested to submit applications including a statement of interest, a detailed curriculum vitae and names and addresses of three referees to the following address.
Mrs, Asila Al Rashdi,
Dept. of Soils, Water and Agricultural Engineering (SWAE)
College of Agricultural & Marine Sciences (CAMS)
Sultan Qaboos University
PO Box 34, PC 123
Phone: (+968) 2414-1228; Fax: (+968) 24413418
CC to Dr. Hemanatha Jayasuriya, Head of the Department