Head of Department,
Department of Archaeology
The vision of department is to be among the chief departments in terms of education, training and research locally and in the Arab world.
The mission of the Department of Archaeology is to build competence through theoretical and practical training.
This is to be accomplished in an environment that enhances and encourages capabilities and talents.
The programme addresses the archaeological heritage through the most advanced methods and techniques.It is to qualify graduates of excellent education and training in the field and equipped with deep awareness and dedication to serve the national heritage of the country.
By the end of their programme, we expect graduates to have achieved the following objectives.
The programme aims to produce the following:
1. Develop competence and skills, talents to discover, unearth, preserve andconserve the national heritage of the Sultanate.
2. Capabilities of carrying out archaeological survey, assessment, excavations and post-excavation work;
3. Conscientious and aware of the importance of the national heritage of theCountry;
4. Capable to understanding and appreciating the human cultural diversity in Oman and in other parts of the world;
5. Capable of using both theoretical and practical approaches;
6. Qualified for employment in archaeology and management of cultural resources.
Dr. Mohamed A. Hesein
Archaeology Assistant Professor
Office No: 1219 C
Ministry of Heritage and Culture
Office of the Advisor of His Majesty the Sultan for Cultural Affairs
Public Authority for Craft Industries
Ministry of Tourism
The British Museum
Seminar for Arabian Studies, London
Society for Arabian Studies, London
Institute of Archaeology, University College London