These regulations are hereby called "Sultan Qaboos University Research Regulations".
Each of the following words and phrases shall have the meaning hereby assigned to them unless the context otherwise requires.
1. The University: Sultan Qaboos University
2. The Law: The University Law
3. The Executive Regulations: The Executive Regulations of the University Law
4. The Regulations: The Research Regulations at the University
5. Research: the academic activity that is based on established scientific principles and is conducted individually or collaboratively or both.
6. Vice-Chancellor: The University's Vice-Chancellor
7. Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Postgraduate Studies and Research
8. Dean: Dean of Research
9. Principal Investigator: Faculty or equivalent who represents the team participating in the research project and is supervising the team.
10. Co-investigator: Faculty or equivalent who works in a team of researchers on a particular research project.
11. The Centre: The University's Research Centre and Language Centre
12. The Research Council: The Research Council in the Sultanate
Abbreviations and Definitions
ADPSR - Assistant Dean for Postgraduate Studies and Research in a College.
Co-I - Co-investigator
Co-PI - Co-principal investigator
CS - Consultancy service
CRC - College Research Committee
Dean - Dean of a College/Research
Director - Director of a Research Centre
DVCPSR - Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Postgraduate Studies & Research
EG - External grant
HoD - Head of a Department in a College
IG - Internal grant
IP - Intellectual property
JG - Joint grant
PI - Principal investigator
Project - An approved research proposal or consultancy request
PSR - Postgraduate Studies and Research
TRC - The Research Council
RCAC - Research Centre Administrative Committee
Sponsor - An organisation or individual from the private or public sector inside or outside the Sultanate of Oman, which provides financial support
for research or consultancy activities.
Sponsor- The representative of the sponsor, who coordinates with SQU
Focal Point - the initiation and management of research or consultancy activities.
HMTF - His Majesty’s Trust Fund Grants