Foundation Program Overview

Teaching Staff

The CPS includes a large number of staff with expertise in teaching on a number of programs/coursesEach program is headed by a Course Coordinator who administers the course.It is important for students to know their teachers' names, office numbers and telephone extension numbers. 

Students should also find out the titles and codes of their courses. They should write all this information down in their notebooks. Also know the name of the program/course coordinator of their preparatory studies course because it may be necessary for them to consult him/her on certain related matters.

The Placement and Exit Test

During the Orientation period, before teaching commences, the Preparatory Courses administers Placement and exit tests to determine each student’s proficiency level in English, Math and IT. Based on the results of the tests, students are then allocated to groups of equal ability. If a student is placed in a level too demanding for his/her level of the subject, it is unlikely that the student will cope with the level of instruction and s/he might be unable to satisfy the requirements of that level. Similarly, if a student is placed in a level too easy for her/him, s/he will probably be bored and will not benefit from the instructions. The Placement Test is very important and should be taken seriously by all students so that they are placed at the appropriate level. 

  • English Language Preparatory Courses (FPEL) consists of six courses.
  • Mathematics Preparatory Courses(FPMT) consists of two courses. Students complete one course per semester.
  • Information Technology Preparatory Courses (FPCS) consists of one course. Students  complete this course in one semester.

The First Week

Teaching at the university commences on Sunday 6/9/2016. At that stage, students are expected to have finalized their accommodation, transportation arrangements, and to have found the location of their classrooms. Students will be registered automatically in their preparatory courses by the CPS Registration Office. Classroom numbers are given in the timetables provided by the Deanship of Admissions and Registration (A&R).

On the first day of classes, students should go to their classrooms with their stationery (pens, pencils and papers) to meet their teachers who will explain the study program and arrange for distribution of textbooks.

What should you do when you have a problem?

The CPS assists students with problems they may encounter during their study. Students should follow this procedure when they have a problem.

  • First, the student should go to his/her Course Teacher to explain the problem and ask for help. If the teacher is unable to help with the problem, the student can then refer the problem to the Program/Course Coordinator.
  • If the Program/Course Coordinator can not help with the problem, the student should then go to the Student Affairs Coordinator for English courses, or registration officers for Math and IT courses.
  • If the Student Affairs Registration officers are unable to help, the student should seek the help of the Deputy Director of Academic Programs.
  • For problems regarding credit courses (none FP courses), students should consult the Course Coordinator as well as his/her academic assigned advisor in their colleges. 


Visiting the teacher

Students may need to visit their teacher in his/her office to discuss topics that they may not have understood in class. They can see their teacher during his/her office hours. Teachers put their timetables (indicating their office-hours) on their office-doors. Students should note these timings (as well as their teacher's office number) so that they can arrange to visit the teacher when s/he is most likely to be in his/her office. Students are advised to send emails to their teachers to arrange for appointments.

Student Affairs Officer

One of the responsibilities of the Student Affairs Officer is to help students if they experience difficulties with their language courses registration. The Student Affairs Officer also works with course coordinators, academic advisors, the Deanship of Admissions and Registration, the Deanship of Student Affairs, the Student Counseling Centre and other university authorities to help students solve their problems. 

Academic and Social Advisors (Foundation Program)

SQU recognizes the importance of academic advising in guiding the students to progress successfully during their study in the University. The role of the Academic Advisors in the CPS is to guide students through their study period, and help them to fulfill their preparatory studies requirements. Students are advised to discuss various aspects of their courses with course instructors, course coordinators and the academic advisors in the Registration Office at the CPS. Also students should refer to the Social Advisor in the CPS regarding their absence or any personal problems that affects their study. 

Student Counseling Centre

Sultan Qaboos University provides a number of services to assist students, including the Student Counseling Centre .The center provides a comprehensive programme of support services to help Sultan Qaboos University students to adjust to the demands of a university environment.

These services are designed to enhance the student's educational experience by supporting his/her development and helping him/her to grow in understanding and self-awareness, to identify his/her needs and problems, and to develop appropriate problem-solving techniques so s/he will be able to meet the demands of college life and be better prepared for work life on completion of his/her studies. 

The centre's counseling services provide individual counseling, group counseling, psychological consultation, a developmental counseling program, workshops, specialized training courses and other services provided by specialists in counseling psychology. As the student moves into this new stage of his/her academic life, he or she will find the university environment and academic study different from that of high school.

Consequently, the student may have many questions and concerns. If so, s/he should not hesitate to visit the Student Counseling Center where help with all aspects of life (academic, personal, or social) is offered. 
If the Student Affairs Officer or CPS Social Advisor refers a student to the Student Counseling Center, s/he should follow this advice because the Student Counseling Center may be in a better position to help the student. 

If the Student Affairs Officer refers a student to the Student Counseling Center, s/he should follow this advice because the Student Counseling Center may be in a better position to help the student. After visiting the counselors there, the student should return to the Student Affairs Officer in the CPS to brief them on the counseling s/he has received.