The Student should note and obey the following:
1. The clinical elective programme in the College can accommodate a limited number of students and for a minimum of four weeks and maximum of eight weeks.
2. Applicants must be in the final clinical or clerkship year.
3. The Elective Programme is entirely educational and no salary is paid to the students.
4. The completed elective application form must reach the Clinical Elective Office at least six months prior to the proposed elective, but not more than nine months.
5. The proposed period of elective for each attachment must be clearly entered on the application form as well as the expected date of graduation and should be accompanied by;
i) Letter requesting elective attachment from the student's medical school to the Dean of College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University / the Clinical Elective Coordinator
ii) A reference letter from one of the tutors from students medical school
iii) Curriculum Vitae
iv) Proof for Personal Health Insurance
6. Application will be processed upon receiving original documents only.
7. Students must make their own arrangements to obtain visit visa from the Oman Embassy or its representative office in their country.
8. The scheduled elective cannot be changed.
9. Elective training is offered without tuition fees but it is subject to changes at any time.
10. Students' accommodation is scarce and depends on its availability. If available, the accommodation will be offered for Rials Omani 120/-per month (approximately US$ 350.00).
11. The electives can be arranged in any of the following specialties depending on the availability of spaces:
Subspecialties of Medicine, Child Health, Family & Community Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics & Gynaecology (only for female students), Anaesthesia, Clinical Biochemistry, Accident & Emergency, Human & Clinical Anatomy, Clinical & Biomedical Physics, Epidemiology & Medical Statistics, Haematology, Microbiology & Immunology, Ophthalmology, Oral Health, Pathology, Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacy, Clinical Physiology and Radiology.
12. Clinical electives cannot be arranged during the months: May, June and July because of final examinations as well as due to shortage of staff, since most of the faculty members will be on their annual vacation.
13. Submitting an application does not necessarily mean the placement is guaranteed. It depends on the availability of spaces in concerned departments.