- To be recognized as a national and international center for excellence in education, training and research in microbiology & Immunology.
- Provide high quality teaching, research and community service.
- Promote high-impact education and innovative research in a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Train healthcare professionals to provide a high-quality microbiology & Immunology medical care.
- Indorse integrity, honesty, and accountability.
- Work as a team
- Build professionalism through coaching and leading by example.
- We shall practice good management of resources in training and research.
Department of Microbiology & Immunology department is continuing its mission of providing high quality teaching, research and community service. It contributes to the M.D., B.Sc. Biomedical Sciences and B.Sc. Nursing undergraduate programmes. The Department continue to offer a two-year Master’s programme in Biomedical Sciences (Medical Microbiology) as well as four-year research-based Ph.D. programmes in Bacteriology, Virology, Parasitology and Immunology. It also contributes to the Oman Medical Specialty Board (OMSB) residents’ teaching and training programmes.
The Department has wide spectrum of research interests. Microbiology researches include molecular virology and bacteriology; emerging, vector-borne and zoonotic diseases; antimicrobial resistance, mycology identification and clinical spectrum, molecular epidemiology of parasitic infections. Immunology researches focus on autoimmunity, immunity to hepatitis C virus infection and immunodeficiency, both primary and acquired, including HIV/AIDS. There is active international research cooperation between the Department and scientists in Austria, Canada, France, Germany, the UAE, the UK and the USA. The Department’s clinical sections offer up-to-date diagnostic services to Sultan Qaboos University Hospital (SQUH) and other hospitals in Oman in the fields of bacteriology, virology, parasitology, mycology and immunology.