The Training and Staff Development Dept (TSD) of SQUH was established in 1990 ith a specific purpose of orienting new hospital employees.
With the formation of the Training and Staff Development Committee by the Academic Council (AC/90/4/7), the Department was mandated to assume the additional responsibility of identifying learning needs of staff and designing programs for training and developing staff of all categories thus facilitating a high quality performance of Sultan Qaboos University Hospital (SQUH).
In 2006 the department became a Directorate with a wider scope of functions and responsibilities.
Over the years several programs have been developed to update the professional staff of SQUH. Training facilities have also been extended to professionals from other institutions in the Sultanate
In addition special efforts are taken to develop the Omani staff by offering in-house technical courses locally or abroad for their career and professional development
Today the Training Directoratet continues to identify the learning needs of the hospital staff in collaboration with the hospital departments, the Hospital Administration and the Hospital Training Committee. Consequent to the identified and justified needs, the Directorate develops and implements new programs in accordance with the requirement and new trends in health care delivery
The overall purpose of the Training Directorates activities is to build and sustain a team of professionals capable of providing a high and sustainable standard of health care to patients as well as support medical students education and other allied health trainees
Training Directorate offers excellence in providing opportunities for training, professional development, continuing education, and in-house training for all Sultan Qaboos University Hospital staff, thereby promoting the delivery of highest quality patient/client care.
The Directorate will be a Training Centre of Excellence in Oman assuming a leadership role in continuing education, research and providing highest standard of programmes meeting the educational and competency based training needs of Sultan Qaboos University Hospital Staff.
To co-ordinate, centralize, monitor and support training activities in Sultan Qaboos University Hospital ( SQUH)
To identify the training and continuing educational needs of the staff.
To explore and develop the potential of Omani employees.
To review the demands for further training of Omani who have special aptitude and recommend them for appropriate further education.
To co-ordinate, facilitate, process and follow up the activities pertaining to the award of scholarship/training for Omani Staff.
To liaise and coordinate with all other departments of SQUH and other colleges for training programs.
To influence and establish through training activities the highest standard of patient care possible.
To participate in appraisal and evaluation of staff performance on request and provide and recommend appropriate remedial education and training.
To continuously improve the quality of its programs through monitoring, evaluation, audits and research.
To conduct researches/audits and use the results to improve existing services.
To maintain an up-to-date date base on individual staff educational training activities.
| Internal support & development:
• Develop courses, programs & teaching materials according to the need
• Organize, plan and conduct courses and programs
• Explore the need for training - develop new programs
• Continue to improve the quality of training programs though monitoring and evaluation
• Issue books, certificates and cards on request.
• Provide evaluation reports, feedback on course participants.
• Conduct structured training programs for Omani nationals.
• Coordinate, follow up and process training and scholarship awards.
• Maintain a database with individual staff training record
• Assist and advice in research activities
| External support & development:
• Attachment programs for external staff
• Provide training information and facilitate training activities
• Advice and consultation
• Teach and lecture in other hospitals
• Collaborate with MOH and other hospitals in the Sultanate
• Advice on curriculum development
• Members of research working groups
• Participate in organizing international & national conferences and workshops
• Present papers in conferences