Welcome to our Department of Genetics website, where we hope to provide you with useful information about our activities within the College of Medicine and Health Sciences at Sultan Qaboos University (SQU) and Sultan Qaboos University Hospital (SQUH).
Geneticists seek to understand how genes are inherited, altered, regulated and expressed, in relation to our overall understanding of the human disease. The endless possibilities on the frontiers of discovery make genetics one of the most exciting fields in biology. Our mission is to promote excellence in education and research in the field of Genetics and to provide state-of-the-art patient care.
Reflecting the breadth of the field itself, our young and dynamic department has ample resources and potential, providing scientists and clinicians with unprecedented opportunities to make a difference. It houses multiple teams covering various disciplines of Human and Medical Genetics, each of which provides a specialized activity and service.
Our mission is to:
- Provide high quality clinical and diagnostic care for families with genetic disorders.
- Educate, teach, and increase awareness of medical genetics among professionals and the community.
- Conduct research that will help with the understanding of genetic disorders and contribute to improved therapies.
- Provide tertiary clinical care (inpatient and outpatient) in the fields of biochemical genetics, cancer genetics, clinical genetics and dysmorphology, and genetics counseling.
- Contribute to teaching undergraduate and post-graduate students
- Provide specialized genetic diagnostic services to Sultan Qaboos University Hospital.
- Initiate and sustain medical research in the field of Genetics and Genomics.
- Participate in activities and initiatives that aim to disseminate genetic knowledge to professionals and the general public.