The Academic Council shall exercise the functions and responsibilities stipulated in the charter of Sultan Qaboos University and in particular the following:
- To propose the University general policy for teaching and research
- To propose students’ affairs and academic regulations.
- To organize affairs related to study, students, academic staff, examinations and academic degrees and certificates.
- To decide on the nomenclature of the academic degrees awarded by the University and specify their foreign equivalents.
- To submit to the University Council recommendations for the award of degrees and certificates.
- To propose introduction or abolition of academic posts and recommend promotion of academic staff.
- To review the University’s annual budget.
- To review the University’s executive regulations