The Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences was established to teach Omani students at the B.Sc. level to understand husbandry and veterinary practices in the production of food-producing animals, pets and exotic animals so that they could use this knowledge to manage various animal production systems. The curriculum is designed to provide graduates who are knowledgeable in animal feeds and nutrition, physiology, genetics, reproduction, production, husbandry and animal health so that our graduates have a thorough understanding of the art and science of animal and veterinary sciences in intensive and extensive system of management and it’s interaction with the environment.
The Department has over the years sent students to mainly to Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Ministry of Regional Municipalities, Veterinary Clinics, Diwan of the Royal Court, Agricultural Development Center, Research Centers, Commercial Dairy, sheep, goat and poultry farms.
Specific Internship Objectives:
We would like the students at their placement centres to engage in all or part of the following activities:
- Understand the role of the organization in relation to animal production.
- Understand the real problems faced by local animal producers.
- Feeding and management of various classes of livestock.
- Understand the methods that are used in the production of plants and cereals for feeding animals.
- Understand the routine breeding practices that are used in various classes of livestock including natural breeding and artificial insemination.
- Identify various diseases that affect livestock and how to prevent and treat them.
- Learn the various methods and techniques that are available to diagnose diseases including the pathology of diseases.
- Methods of collecting data for research and animal production and reproductive management.
- Understand the importance of manual and computer-based record keeping.
- Any other activities the supervisor think will be useful for the students in the future career including extension activities. Read More
Department of AVS
AVS Internship Coordinator: