Sultan Qaboos University, College of nursing
Policy prepared by: Risk committee
Policy reviewed by: Risk committee members and computer lab technicians
Policy to be approved by: College Board
Revision: Once in two years
Policies for safety in computer labs at college of nursing
- All users of the laboratory are to follow the directions of Academic/Laboratory Technician staff member.
- Food or drink is not permitted at any time in the laboratory.
- Students should not attempt to repair, open, tamper or interfere with any of the computer, printing, cabling, air conditioning or other equipment in the laboratory.
- Students should be aware of office ergonomic guidelines for correct posture when using computer equipment.
- Please treat fellow users of the laboratory, and all equipment within the laboratory, with the appropriate level of care and respect.
- Please shut down the computer properly after use.
- Kindly report about any broken plugs or exposed electrical wires to the laboratory technician immediately.
- Do not charge your personal mobile devices in the lab.
- Each student must log in to his/her account. No sharing of accounts is permitted.
- Avoid stepping on electrical wires or any other computer cables.
- Do not insert metal objects such as clips, pins and needles into the computer casings. They may cause fire.
- Do not plug in external devices without scanning them for computer viruses.
- Ensure that the temperature in the room stays cool, since there are many machines inside a lab as these can overheat easily. This is one of the many ways of ensuring computer safety.
- Try not to touch any of the circuit boards and power sockets when a device is connected to them and switched on.
- Always maintain an extra copy of all your important data files.
- Accessing illegal sites is strictly prohibited.
- Cell phones must be on silent mode before entering the computer lab as it may distract others. Maintain silence in the computer lab.
- Do not download any abusive software /games /programs on any computer in the laboratory.
- Computer related games or any other games are not allowed in the computer lab.
- Do not alter any configuration of any computer.
- Any behavior or action that affects the environment of the lab is prohibited.
- Do not save any important assignment on the desktop, save it in a removable drive.
- As the IT, personnel may remove it as a part of routine monitor inspection
In case of emergency
- Keep calm.
- Call for help and inform using the emergency number
- Know the location of the fire extinguisher and the first aid box and how to use them in case of an emergency.
- Leave the building and run safely to the nearest assembly point - In front of the college near the fountain / At the parking area
- Do not re-enter evacuated buildings until the "all clear" is given by an authorized person.