Mohammad Al Zubair is Founder of the Zubair Corporation, one of the leading business houses in Oman. He played a formative role in Oman’s economic development since 1970, as a Founding member of number of national companies in banking, investments, industry and Services. He was the chairman of the founding committee of the Oman Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and in 1974, he became the first Minister of Commerce and Industry and a member of the Supreme Councils of Development, Finance and Energy. H.M. the Sultan appointed him in 1984 as his Adviser for Economic Planning.
He chaired a number of ministerial and national committees such as the Committee for Economic Relations, the Privatization Committee and the Committee for Preservation of Water Resources. Between 1997 and 2001 he was Chairman and President of Sultan Qaboos University.
He is an active patron of Arts and Culture and has a number of creative achievements in this field. Mohammad Al Zubair is the recipient of many awards and decorations from Oman and a number of other countries. The degree of Doctor of Laws (honoris causa) was conferred on him by the University of Nottingham in 2001 and in 2005 he received the honorary Doctorate from the University of Central Lancashire.
Highlights of achievements during his term:
- The declaration of the University as a house of experience and an academic and knowledge institution
- Signing the first memorandum of scientific understanding between the University and Achin University, A German University.
- Signing many other memoranda of understanding with other universities and higher education institutions and companies, such as Petroleum Development of Oman (PDO)
The establishment of a number of research centers in the university, including:
- Communication and Information Research Center
- Earthquake Control Center
- Petroleum and Gas Research Center
- Water Research Center
- Environment Studies and Research Center
- The inauguration of Shell Chair and the establishment of a PhD program affiliated with Carbonate Studies Center
- Hosting the cultural and academic forum of the universities of the Gulf Council Countries at which SQU students got the first rank in the general results.
- Setting the first student festival at SQU
- The Royal Visit to the University and the declaration of the establishment of a multi-function Hall at His Majesty’s expense.
- The celebration of the first University Day on which the first five strategic research projects funded by His Majesty’s Grant were announced
- The presidential visit by Ex-USA president Carter to the University
- The Royal visit of His Royal Highness British Prince Andrew paid to the University
- The presidential visit of H.E. the Irish President paid to the University.