H.E. Dr. Yahya bin Mahfoudh Al Manthri – Chairman of the State Council, is an active personality involved in the development progression of the Sultanate of Oman since the early seventies. H.E. has held many positions in his career; starting from the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Economy, after that H.E served in the Omani Embassy in Washington D.C. for six years. In 1977, H.E. left the Diplomatic Service and held the position of Dhofar's Vice-Governor Undersecretary in Salalah. In 1979, H.E. was appointed Minister of Education, as well as acting Minister of Social Affairs; in addition to this he was appointed Assistant to the Vice-Chairman of the Supreme Council for Youth Welfare, and Chairman of the Sultan Qaboos University Project in 1981, furthermore he stood as Chairman of the Sultan Qaboos University, and it's Council. In 1994, H.E. was appointed Minister of Higher Education and Vice-Chairman of the Higher Education Council; and has been till this date the Chairman of the State Council, since 2004.
H.E. Dr. Yahya bin Mahfoudh Al Manthri, holds a Bachelor of Science from the University of Damascus, as well as a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Indiana, United States of America; and a Master of Education from the University of Oklahoma, United States of America. H.E. also, has a PhD in Educational Philosophy from the University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, as well as an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Reading, United Kingdom. He is married with three sons, and two daughters.
H.E. Dr. Yahya bin Mahfoudh Al Manthri, participated in many conferences as Head of the Omani Delegation, and represented the Sultanate as Minister of Education, Minister of Higher Education, and Chairman of the Sultan Qaboos University in a number of regional and International Organizations such as UNESCO, ILESCO and ISESCO. H.E. participated in the Arab Bureau of Education for the Gulf States, and the International Authority of University Presidents, and the Union of Arab and International Universities.
Highlights of achievements during his term:
- The establishment of the College of Arts (present College of Arts and Social Sciences)
- The establishment of the College of Commerce and Economics
- The graduation of the first cohort of University students under the patronage of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said
- The graduation of the second cohort of University students under the patronage of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said
- The official opening/inauguration of the College of Commerce and Economics
- The graduation of the first cohort of the College of Medicine (presently College of Medicine and Health Sciences) under the patronage of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said
- The visit of the Ex-British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher paid to the University