The Main Library was established along with the University in 1986, it’s the largest library in the Sultanate in terms of space collection and number of users.
However, the Main Library is an academic library established to support the teaching, study and research programmes of the university, it has extended its services beyond the university community by providing library memberships to all citizens and residents in Oman.
Since 1986, the library has been striving to provide better services by adhering to international standards, despite the annual increase in numbers of users from year to another.
In 2009 the library moved to a new building with new systems and programs in order to face the emerging changes in the world of communications and information.
From this standpoint, the library remained in constant movement to meet all user needs by reviewing updating the collections, policies and procedures on a regular basis.
The Main Library aspires to excellence and leadership in the field, to an intellectual influence on the community, and to move forward towards the high ranks of advanced academic libraries through the provision of distinct information resources and services.
To provide a comprehensive and balanced range of high quality information resources to support the academic education and research needs of the university community and the Omani community at large through the collection, organization, and arrangement of information resources, and to facilitate their access.
The Main Library is incorporating the values of librarianship and the University, we embrace the following institutional, professional, and values as key to fostering a welcoming and resource-rich environment conducive to learning, research, creativity, and innovation, and the library is committed to the following values:
- Excellence by promoting the highest standards and exceeding expectations to accomplish Library goals and objectives with quality, and distinction.
- Loyalty by demonstrating loyalty to the university, students, faculty and staff.
- Integrity by demonstrating honesty and fairness in words and actions.
- Credibility by providing expertise in identifying, interpreting, and utilizing appropriate credible and scholarly information resources, course materials, technology, media and materials for personal or recreational use.
- Equity by ensuring equitable access to information and unrestricted access to library resources, programs, and services to meet the needs of the diverse community.
- Collegiality by believing in the processes of shared decision making based on productive synergistic interactions among students, faculty, and staff, and disciplines in the pursuit of institutional goals.
- Collaboration and Teamwork by engaging and working together to enrich research and learning.
- Professionalism by supporting the provision of library services by professionally qualified Staff.
- Quality by adhering to the highest standards of services, safety and efficiency.
The Library contributes to the achievement of the University's aspirations in a number of ways, including:
- Selecting, collecting, organizing and maintaining print and electronic information resources and facilitating their access.
- Developing and updating the library's collections in both print and electronic format.
- Analyzing and evaluating users' needs in order to provide better services.
- Defining and measuring the outcomes in the context of the university's vision and mission.
- Preparing and providing a better reading environment to students, faculty and staff.
- Striving to develop Library staff knowledge and skills.
- Raising the standard of information literacy skills among students, faculty, and staff.
- Participating in community service and activities through direct and continuous interaction, and providing technical advice to enable similar institutions to utilize the Main Library's skills and expertise.
- Ensuring quality in the services provided according to the international standards.