The unit's duties are to:
- Prepare legal studies on issues referred to the unit by the vice-chancellor, his deputies and all other relevant parties and provide a legal opinion on them.
- In accordance with established procedures, investigate alleged violations by university staff.
- As provided by law, represent the vice-chancellor in cases filed by or against the university.
- Prepare litigation pleas and defense briefs in cases filed by or against the university.
- Participate in commissions of inquiry, keep minutes of their deliberations and protect their confidentiality.
- Keep minutes of investigative committee meetings together with files on all suits filed by or against the university and protect their confidentiality.
- Keep the record of laws and regulations for easy reference.
- Prepare an annual report on the unit’s accomplishments and submit it to the department’s director.
- Undertake any other tasks that are assigned.