Master in Science (MSc)
Department offers two M.Sc programms.
- M.Sc. in Biology and
- M.Sc. in Environmental Science
- M.Sc. in Biology
- Program overview
The student should complete the course work requirements specified in the degree plan with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00. For the thesis, the candidate is required to conduct the necessary literature review, undertake the research, analyze the results, write the report and communicate the results at an oral defense. This work need not necessarily be original research, but should be a new application of ideas. The student should identify the research problem in consultation with the supervisor, which normally takes place in the second semester. The student should register for the thesis in the third semester after having completed at least 12 credits of the course work.
- Applicant should have a Bachelor's degree in Biology or in a related subject from Sultan Qaboos University or from any other recognized university, with Cumulative Grade Point Average of not less than 2.75 on a 4 point scale, or
- Candidates from other disciplines may be asked to attend additional bridging courses before starting the program.
- Applicant must submit a release letter or a study leave from employer for full time study or no objection letter for part-time study, addressed to the dean of postgraduate studies at SQU. Un-employed applicant needs to submit a statement from The Ministry of Labour documenting the unemployment status of the applicant.
- Before starting the program the admitted candidates should submit an English Proficiency Test Certificate Band (6) in IELTS Academic, with a minimum of 5 in each of its components or (550) in the TOEFL paper-based or (213) in TOEFL computer-based or (79) in the TOEFL through the Internet.
- Two year’s Work experience is a must for candidates with Cumulative Grade Point Average between 2.5 and 2.74 in the Bachelor degree, or
- Applicants who have bachelor degree from a recognized institution and a postgraduate diploma in a related specialization from a recognized institution of higher education with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 on a 4-point scale or its equivalent.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
The department also offers PhD degree in Biology, which is a research programme in one of the fields of Biological Sciences.
Doctoral candidates are required to produce a thesis containing original work of suitable merit to demonstrate their command of the relevant research methodology and their ability to undertake independent research. The thesis should make a significant contribution to the body of knowledge in the specific area, as demonstrated by at least one paper being published or accepted for publication in an international, specialized, refereed journal. The student should identify the research problem in consultation with the supervisor, which normally takes place at the time of application. A student may not submit for assessment thesis material which has already been submitted for another degree at Sultan Qaboos University or any other academic institution.
Whilst there is no minimum course work requirement, a program or Thesis Committee may specify certain course work requirements which are deemed to be in the candidate’s interest. These requirements must be completed within the first year of study.
- Applicants should have a Bachelor degree from Sultan Qaboos University or equivalent from a recognized university.
- Applicant should have a Master's degree Biology or in a science related subject from Sultan Qaboos University or from any other recognized university.
- A Cumulative Grade Point Average of not less than 3.00 on a 4-point scale or equivalent in any other system and the Deanship of Postgraduate studies makes the assessment for equivalency acceptance.
- A cumulative GPA ranging between 2.75 and 2.99 on a 4-point scale or its equivalent, taking into account the applicant’s work experience and any academic activities they are engaged.
- Two letters of reference from academics, to show competence in the discipline of interest and research capabilities.
- Applicant should submit a statement of intent outlining and goals of the research proposed.
- Applicant must submit a release letter or a study leave for employer, addressed to the dean of postgraduate studies at SQU. Un-employed applicant needs to submit a statement from The Ministry of Labour documenting the unemployment status of the applicant.
Before starting the program the admitted candidates should submit an English Proficiency Test Certificate band (6.5) or higher in academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic or a score of (90) or higher in the International TOEFL – IBT
For more information contact:
Postgraduate studies Admission Department
Deanship of Postgraduate
Sultan Qaboos University
Phone: (+968) 2441 5819 / 5824