Program Name: MS.c. in Data Science and Machine Learning
Program Type: Course Work and Thesis
Study Mode: Full-time Or Part-time
Duration: 2 Years for Full-time and 3 Years for Part-time
The student should complete the course work requirements specified in the degree plan with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00. For the thesis, the candidate is required to conduct the necessary literature review, address the research problem, discuss and analyze the results, write the report and communicate it during his/her oral MSc defense. The student should define the research problem in tight collaboration with his/her supervisor, which usually occurs in the second semester. The student should register for the
thesis in the third semester after having completed at least 12 credits of the course work.
- Applicants should have a Bachelor's degree in a field related to Computing or Information Sciences such as Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Engineering or in other related fields from Sultan Qaboos University or from any other recognized university provided that they have sufficient background in Computing, with Cumulative Grade Point Average of not less than 2.75 on a 4 point scale, or
- Two year’s Work experience is a must for candidates with Cumulative Grade Point Average between 2.5 and 2.74 in the Bachelor degree, or
- Applicants who have bachelor degree from a recognized institution and a postgraduate diploma in a related specialization from a recognized institution of higher education with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 on a 4-point scale or its equivalent.
- All applicants should have a good background in computing, mathematics (calculus, linear algebra, and discrete mathematics), and statistics as assessed by the admission committee.
- Candidates from other disciplines may be asked to attend additional bridging courses before starting the program.
- Applicant must submit a release letter or a study leave from employer for full time study or no objection letter for part-time study, addressed to the dean of postgraduate studies at SQU. Un-employed applicant needs to submit a statement from The Ministry of Labour documenting the unemployment status of the applicant.
English Language Requirements
Before starting the program the admitted candidates should submit an English Proficiency Test Certificate band (6) or higher in academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic or a score of (79) or higher in the International TOEFL - IBT
MSc (Data Science and Machine Learning) degree plan (Cohort 2021 Onwards)
MSc (Data Science and Machine Learning) Brochure