The department of Statistics came into existence in 2018 following the executive order of his excellency the Vice Chancellor splitting the then department of Mathematics and Statistics (DOMAS) into two departments, one of Mathematics and one of Statistics. Its first head took office on the second of September 2018. The Department is the first, and so far the only, department of Statistics in the Sultanate of Oman universities and tertiary education institutions.
The department offers programs leading to BSc. MSc. And PhD. in Statistics. It also offers a special minor in Health Statistics. This is designed for students pursuing careers as Statisticians in the Ministry of Health. A general minor in Statistics is also offered to students of other majors in the college of Science.
All these programs were in place prior to the existence of the department, so a bit of history is in order. The bachelor degree in Statistics started 1993, together with degrees in Mathematics and Computer Science, under the then department of Mathematics and Computing (DOMAC). Computer Science became a separate department in September 1995, and DOMAC became the department of Mathematics and Statistics (DOMAS). The other Statistics programs started under DOMAS. These are Health Statistics minor (1998), Master in Statistics (1999) and PhD. in Statistics (2010).
The department is committed to quality teaching, research and community service. It aspires to:
- fulfil the role of Sultan Qaboos University (SQU) as the national house of expertise in the area of Statistics,
- open wider doors for interdisciplinary research of direct relevance to Oman,
- impact and invigorate SQU Statistics academic programs,
- pursue cutting-edge research,
- enhance statistical consulting and community-services involvement, and
- Inspire new ways to work together with the community,
We hope you will find the information in this website useful and encouraging to contact and establish links with the department. For any information, please do not hesitate to contact us at DeptofStat@squ.edu.om
It is my pleasure to welcome you to the website of the department of Statistics and glad that you have taken the time to view it. The department has just came into existence (September 2nd 2018), but the Statistics academic programs have been in place for some time. The department is committed to quality teaching, research and community service. The department's objectives are:
- Producing all-round Statisticians, by blending theory with practice in courses and involving students with projects involving real life situations requiring data collection, description, analysis, and communicating results precisely and effectively.
- Undertaking research at the highest possible international standards
- Reaching out to researchers within the university and outside for involvement in applied interdisciplinary research of direct relevance to Oman.
- Providing consulting services to the academic and professional sectors in Oman.
- Reaching out to the wider community to identify training needs in the area of Statistics, and providing the training needed.
- Initiating and maintaining international collaborations with similar institutions across the globe.
The department welcomes requests from within and outside SQU for Statistical advice, technical assistance, short courses, consultancy and joint work.
Khidir Abdelbasit, Associate Professor (HoD)
To offer quality Statistics education that produces life-long learners, creative problem-solvers, productive employees and responsible citizens.
To contribute to the overall objectives of Sultan Qaboos University through excellence in Statistics education, research and service to the university community and society at large.