The Department of Statistics (DOS) came into existence in the year 2018 following an executive order of his excellency the Vice Chancellor that resulted in the splitting the then, Department of Mathematics and Statistics (DOMAS) into two departments, Department of Mathematics and Department of Statistics. Its first head took office on the second of September 2018. The Department is the first, and so far the only, department of Statistics in the Sultanate of Oman's universities and tertiary education institutions.
The department offers programs leading to the award of Bachelor of Science in Statistics (BSc. Statistics), Master Science in Statistics (MSc. Statistics) and Doctor of Philosophy in Statistics (PhD. Statistics). It also offers a special minor in Health Statistics which is designed for students pursuing careers as Statisticians in the Ministry of Health. A general minor in Statistics is also offered to students of other majors at the College of Science.
All these programs were in place prior to the existence of the department, so a bit of history is in order. The bachelor degree in Statistics started 1993, together with degrees in Mathematics and Computer Science, under the then department of Mathematics and Computing (DOMAC). The Department of Computer Science became a separate department in September 1995, and DOMAC became the Department of Mathematics and Statistics (DOMAS). The other statistics programs that started under the DOMAS are the minor in Health Statistics (1998), Master of Science in Statistics (1999) and PhD in Statistics (2010).
The department is committed to quality teaching, research and community service. It aspires to:
- Fulfill the role of Sultan Qaboos University (SQU) as the reference and national house of expertise in the theory and application of Statistics,
- Open wider the doors for interdisciplinary research of direct relevance to the Sultanate of Oman,
- Impact and invigorate the Sultanate Qaboos University's statistics academic programs,
- Pursue cutting edge research, as well as support it through collaboration
- Enhance statistical consulting and community services' involvement, and
- Inspire new ways to work together with the community,
We hope you will find the information in this website useful and encouraging to contact and establish links with the Department of Statistics. For any information, please do not hesitate to contact us at DeptofStat@squ.edu.om