The College of Science shall have a Research Committee chaired by the Assistant Dean for Graduate Studies and Research and have a Senior member of Staff (preferably Omani) representing every Department in the College. The Research Committee shall endeavour to enhance the reputation of the College in the areas of scientific research and acknowledge the efforts of faculty in attracting external funding. It shall undertake the following functions:
To accomplish its task, the Committee may use the following mechanisms:
1. Provide the best possible atmosphere for conducting research and ensure that research activities are sustainable in the long run.
2. Ensure the smooth running of common research facilities and organize access to such facilities.
3. Ensure that staff are given the required support.
4. Provide junior staff with the necessary guidance and motivation.
5. Guide demonstrators and lecturers in choosing their specialization.
6. Ensure an adequate infrastructure for undergraduate and graduate research.
7. Facilitate the establishment and maintenance of links with other colleges, centers and outside organizations regarding inter-disciplinary research.
8. Supervise the allocation of University research funds to research projects.
9. Provide guidelines for conference and study leave.
1. Funding high quality original research.
2. Encouragement of research projects, particularly those, which are relevant to the Sultanate of Oman.
3. Emphasis on research groups with a strong Omani presence, although individual projects should also be supported.
4. Groups and individuals are encouraged to form links with other bodies, companies and research groups inside the Sultanate and abroad.
5. Organize consultancy services.
6. Assist staff in obtaining and utilizing internal and external funding for research projects.
Research Committee Members as of Spring 2016