Quality Assurance & Accreditation Unit
- The Quality Assurance & Accreditation Unit
- QA and Accreditation Unit Responsibilities
- ABET Accreditation at the College of Engineering
The Quality Assurance & Accreditation Unit in the College of Engineering was established on 27th of December 2017 together with other similar units in other colleges; to serve as a focal point to supervise quality assurance and accreditation activities.
The college has always strived to ensure and maintain quality engineering education. This started with inviting ‘External Examiners’ for every program offered by the college. This yearly critical review by ‘External Examiners’ has helped the college to maintain its standard.
The programs in the college underwent successful ABET accreditation , and all of our eight programs are currently ABET accredited. ABET accreditation is a significant achievement that requires comprehensive, periodic evaluations. ABET accreditation demonstrates our continuing commitment to the quality of our programs. This achievement made possible via continuous effort of our faculty, administration, students and Industrial advisory boards. The establishment of the Quality Assurance & Accreditation Unit will serve to enhance our effort as a college to maintain quality engineering education.
- Prepare and draft an academic accreditation roadmap for the College of Engineering.
- Communicate with other relevant units within the College and the university on issues related to quality assurance and accreditation.
- Supervise and coordinate quality assurance and academic accreditation activities in the college.
- Follow up the implementation of quality assurance and academic accreditation processes in the college.
- Prepare regular reports to the Dean of the college about quality assurance and academic accreditation processes.
- Prepare and implement necessary training programs for staff on quality assurance and academic accreditation, in coordination with relevant units at SQU.
- Carry out the logistical activities related to quality assurance and academic accreditation processes in coordination with relevant university units.
- Collect and file data in the appropriate format required by institutional accreditation.
The college has always strived to ensure and maintain a quality engineering education. After the graduation of first batch, the college has started to invite ‘External Examiners’ for every program offered by the college. These external examiners were very carefully selected with right balance of educational and research experience. This yearly critical review has helped the college to maintain its standard through the first decade.
In Fall semester 2000, the University and College decided to proceed with ABET accreditation for all engineering programs. Currently all engineering programs offered by the college are ABET accredited. Four engineering programs namely Civil Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering, attained substantial equivalency in 2006. The other four programs namely Architectural Engineering, Chemical and Process Engineering, Industrial Engineering, and Mechatronics Engineering, are ABET accredited since 2007. The remaining programs are ABET accredited since 2012, which is an acknowledgement of sustained quality efforts by the College of Engineering at Sultan Qaboos University. The college and departments have dedicated ongoing committees to work on continuous evolution of curriculum and its delivery in response to recent advances and local and regional community needs.