The Department of Early Education, formerly known as the Department of Early Childhood Education was established within the College of Education in 2006. The department has hosted one program (BA in Early Childhood Education) since 2006. The Department of Early Education, formerly known as the Department of Early Childhood Education, was established within the College of Education in 2006. In 2018, the department was renamed to the Department of Early Education in preparation to host the Primary Education program which was introduced in 2022. Since then, 81 students in both programs have been admitted to the department. It now has 9 full-time and adjunct faculty who have areas of expertise in early education majors. The department aims to prepare distinguished graduates in the field of early childhood who will enhance education and care services for children from birth to 10 years of age in the Sultanate of Oman.
Preparing distinguished leaders in the field of early education, specifically from birth to 10 years of age based on international standards.
Early education department strives to prepare distinguished graduates in developing programs for early education institutions and in providing parental and societal services to meet the needs of children in the different developmental domains.
- Possession of a professional philosophy based on theory and research of child development and theories of instruction.
- Competency in skills of observation and the use of appropriate assessment tools and documentation techniques in evaluating the children's growth and development.
- Ability to motivate and help children to develop in all domains (cognitive, social, emotional, physical, environmental, etc.) and become independent learners who construct meaningful information from the world around them.
- Professional growth in designing and implementing activities suitable to the development of children in all curricular areas.
- Competency in designing an appropriate environment for young children, in selecting suitable equipment, and in designing appropriate materials.
- Ability to work harmoniously and effectively with adults, including parents, staff, and other professionals.
- Competency in enhancing the development and education of children with special needs.
- Conducting research that contributes to the development and enhancement of early childhood domains and involved staff.
- Provision of opportunities for continuing education for all parties such as teachers, parents, and graduates of early childhood education program.