Instructional and Learning Department
The Instructional and Learning Technologies Department (ILT) in the College of Education, Sultan Qaboos University was established in 2005. The Department strives to achieve excellence in its provision of teaching, research, and social services in the field of instructional and learning technologies. The Department was established to meet the needs of the Ministry of Education for Bachelor level Information Technology teachers and Learning Resources Center specialists, and the need to re-qualify current non-specialized IT teachers.
The Department admits 25-30 students each year. The graduates of this program are qualified to be in-service IT teachers, and specialists in operating and managing Learning Resource Centers, besides developing Instructional multimedia training materials for both public and private sectors.
To excel in courses and programs to meet international standards and contribute in creating a knowledge-based society, and the employment of technology and information in various fields.
Teaching, research, community service and educational innovations and their employment, to serve scientific and technological advancement.
Through its programs and activities at the undergraduate and graduate levels, the Instructional and Learning Technologies department aims to:
- Achieve university objectives according the prescribed strategy at both college and university levels for teachers and LRC specialists to master ICT skills in the fields of ET and IT.
- Link the programs offered with the socio-economic and political changes in Oman.
- Train the students to acquire planning, design, development, use, management, and evaluation skills of ET/ICT and LRC processes related to these technologies.
- Develop technology leadership and change, innovation dissemination, and problem solving in Omani education and HRD sectors.
- Conduct research in the fields of educational technology and its recent developments, such as e-Learning, m-Learning, and b-Learning.
- Conduct edification workshops and seminars to raise the academic and local communities' awareness of the importance of ET and its developmental effects in the realization of knowledge based society.
- Provide Omani society with specialists in the fields of e-courses and software design, e-publishing, and virtual research and learning resources centers.
- Adopt new learning theories supported by research findings.
- Provide academic and technical consultation and exchange expertise on ICT and its applications with different institutions.
The department offers the following programs:
Bachelor of Education in ILT
The programme aims at providing teachers and specialists in ILT, Human Resource Development and Training. It contributes to train currently in-service IT teachers and LRC supervisors. In order for student teachers to possess competencies of teaching these subjects, they study various educational courses (e.g. Curriculum and Methods of Teaching, Educational Psychology, Foundations of Education, and Instructional Technology). These are supplemented by practice in labs and microteaching sessions. Besides, they do teaching practice in Basic and Post-Basic education schools. To be registered in the ILT major, a student should get a minimum grade of ‘C‘ in the following subjects: Basic Arabic language, Basic English Language and Mathematics, Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics.
The student will then be interviewed to ensure fluency in Arabic, physical fitness and desire to study the major.
Students enrolled in this program must complete (125) credit hours distributed as follows:
- University requirements: 12 credit hours
- Major requirements: 86 credit hours
- Sub-Major requirements: 18 credit hours
- Major electives: 9 credit hours