Physical Education & Sport Sciences Department
Physical Education and Sport Sciences Department (PESSD) at Sultan Qaboos University (SQU) is the only educational institution in Oman that is qualifying physical education teachers and other sport related careers. Since its initiation in 1990 more than 17 cohorts have been graduate working as PE teachers, supervisors, sport managers and sport trainers in various organizations.The degree plan consists theoretical content of sport physiology, kinesiology, psychology, sport administration, teaching methods and principal of coaching. It also includes skill and motor development of various individual and team sports as well as health fitness and body conditioning. PESSD contributes to the society by disseminating research results; organize workshops seminars and conferences and joint venture sport events that contribute to the development of sport and health culture.
The PESSD is committed to achieving excellence in academics and research, and performing a community service at the highest moral and ethical level, which recognizes and responds to the rapid changes that characterize the local and global arenas.
Work towards activating the strategic plan to improve the educational process and achieve excellence in all areas of physical education and sport sciences specialization. That can be accomplished in light of the scientific research and principles of the sport sciences in order to improve the level of health and sport achievement to meet the requirements of the modern society.
- The department seeks to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide all students with theoretical knowledge, analytical and practical skills, and transferable sport skills to enable them to function effectively and efficiently in various sports environments at the level of undergraduate and postgraduate studies.
- To produce graduates capable of performing scientific research and conduct individual and joint researches on issues related to sports, dynamic and health sciences that meet the needs of the local society.
- To prepare leaders in supervising and administering sport sectors.
- To enhance the Omani society's awareness and appreciation of the usefulness of sports and the necessity of physical activity in our modern life.
- To promote partnerships with local and international authorities and institutions relevant to sports sciences.